Day 2 - Kochi

I woke up feeling quite refreshed, despite partying late the night before.  Must still have the new adventure feeling because otherwise I am known around the world for having the worst and longest hangovers in history.I decided to explore Fort Kochi again, this time alone.  Wanted to give Brooke and Ricky some space and have time to breathe.  Got a SIM card for my cell phone.  It was actually quite a process, requiring I find an instant photo shop to take passport-like photos to attach to my SIM card application.  The lady who took my picture couldn't believe how fat my face was.  She certainly didn't mean to be mean, and there's a possibility she even meant it as a compliment, as she thought I was so beautiful.  WTF, Mate?
I guess I should mention that I am keeping a travel journal.  I write about the interesting things I encounter and glue odd things in it, like my SIM card pictures.  I have friends I meet along the way write in it.  This is the third trip I have used one and they are some of my most treasured possessions in life. 

After that I found a rickshaw driver in the park who would take me around. 
 Commercial laundry
Hanging to dry
 Iron
 Housing for laundry workers

 Interesting man
 Elephant in captivity
 Drying ginger
 Sorting ginger
GOATS ARE EVERYWHERE!

After a good day of running about, I headed back to the boat jetty (ferry station).  On my way I am told that it is closed and ferries have been docked due to the tsunami in Indonesia and subsequent eatchquakes throughout the area, affecting the water levels.  Wondering if this is a rickshaw driver scam trying to get a ride out of me (there is a bridge back to the mainland), I walk to the boat jetty anyway.  It turns out he was right, but I caught the very last one of the day.  The rickshaw driver had followed me there though, in case he was right and I might need a ride.  Here I realized something about the Indian people.  Of course he would have benefited from waiting for me had the ferry been closed.  But there was also a certain feeling of genuine care and helpfulness that he was offering.  He wasn't upset that I wouldn't be needing his services, but rather he seemed happy that I was getting my own wish.  I would encounter instances like this all over the country throughout my trip.  Indians look out for others, whether they be foreign or not.  Upon returning to the mainland, Ernakulam, I heard that many people felt the eatrhquake.  I would have never thought I would be so close to a natural disaster like that, but as far as I know, no lives or structures were affected in Kochi.

Back at Sangy's we decide to have a few drinks.  And a few more.

Comments

Popular Posts