Expectations

In the weeks preceding my trip my ears seemed to have a newfound radar for the word "India."  Kind of like when you buy a new car that you thought no one had, only to realize that it is actually quite common but can only see it once you have it in your mind.  So I would hear stories on NPR about the crowded streets and about how the summer days can reach such a temperature that people actually die.  I would hear someone in passing mention a trip their brother went on who would never go back because the poverty was too disheartening.  They would rather not see it, I guess so they could sleep better at night pretending it didn't really exist.  And of course everyone mentioned "Delhi Belly," India's version of what we call "Montezuma's Revenge" in Mexico.  And upon telling acquaintances about my upcoming trip, noses were wrinkled in what I can only assume was disgust.  They were the most shocked when hearing that I would actually be traveling ALONE most of the time.  To be fair, I did have a few friends on my side. Some thought it sounded like a great adventure, while others were jealous that I would be able to sample their delicious cuisine and buy as many Buddha statues I could fit in my suitcase!

I'm still not sure why I decided to proceed with this trip.  It sounds like the world was telling me not to go.  Or to at least to be aware of their concerns.  I think I saw it as more of a challenge than anything.  As if they were daring me to have a good time despite all of their warnings.  Alright, challenge accepted.

I say that I didn't have any preconceived notions about India and its inhabitants before arriving.  Of course this isn't completely true.  Whether positive or negative, we all have some feeling or attitude about people and places.  I just knew that I was far too uninformed for them to be accurate so I let them fly out of the window before I even got on the plane.  And I decided that I was going to be completely open to the experiences and opportunities that were offered to me, as I didn't see any other way.  This isn't easy for me, actually.  Those of you that know me would probably agree that I can be/am uptight.  I wasn't able to shake that completely, but I think I did a pretty good job accepting things that I cannot change and going with the flow.

I'm having a hard time understanding the distinction between Optimist and Pessimist.  They crossover more than people think.  On one hand I think I am a Pessimist because I expected the worst.  But on the other hand I think I am an Optimist because I expected the worst, because it gave so much to be desired and everything beyond "the worst" was fantastic and surprising!  That probably only makes sense within my brain.  Let me give you an example.  It began upon boarding the plane.  I had been to Europe a handful of times and each airbound journey seemed like an eternity.  I got the Jimmy-Legs (Restless Leg Syndrome), had some stinky asshole next me blocking the way to the bathroom most of the time, and generally wanted to hurl myself out of the window every single time.  So I expected the only difference to be twice as long, hence twice as dreadful.  I was worried I would get blood clots in my legs and die (not really).  Or that the lady next to me would sleep the entire time and I would have to pee in a bottle (is that possible?).  Or no one would feed me and I would starve to death (definitely not possible). 

All of that sounds so dramatic!  But I boarded and everything went swimmingly.  I'm sure the Clonazepam had nothing to do with it, by the way.  Short flight from Denver to Washington D.C., and then we were off across the Atlantic.  I was relaxed, had a isle seat with another seat between the other person in my row and I, and things were looking up.  After eating a surprisingly delicious airplane curry, I decided to stretch my legs a bit and see if I could talk the flight attendant to let me stand up in the back for a bit.  He was charming and handsome, why not chat for a bit.  We talked about some pretty random topics for strangers in the back of the plane, but remember I was leaving myself open to the experience.  He gave me a flight comfort kit that I believe was only reserved for First Class travelers, and in return I gave him my email.  I changed flights again in Dubai where I saw the most beautiful airport I have seen to date.  If I hadn't just flown in there, I would think I was walking around a Five-Star shopping mall.  Designer shops all around, with the cleanest tile floors I have ever seen in my life.

I think I'm getting a bit off track.....expectations, right?
So it turns out I was completely wrong.  I didn't die or starve, and I made it there in one piece.  Everything seemed so pleasant compared what I was expecting.  My flight arrived in Kochi at around 3:30 am.  The one aspect of India that I was warned about most was the sheer humanity and amount of people.  Being from Wyoming where we probably have the most square miles per person other than Alaska and Antarctica, I am used to my space so I considered this a serious concern.  I had also heard that cities never sleep and arriving at 3:30am would be no different than arriving at 9:00am, noon, 3:00pm or otherwise.  So again I expected the worst.  But I arrived, waited a bit for my luggage, and walked outside into the 100% humidity to find Brooke, who was supposed to pick me up.  There was a good amount of people outside the airport, but nothing like I was expecting.  There weren't so many that I couldn't wiggle my way through.  No, they didn't pay attention to queues, but who does these days?  They were relatively docile, all waiting to greet friends and family I suppose.

One thing that some bloggers mentioned on www.indiamike.com was how curious the Indians are, and they are not shy about staring at people who were unlike them, therefore interesting.  I wish I would have paid more attention to their advice because I was not ready for the number of eyeballs that were about to set on me throughout my trip.  I'm going to leave this topic for another day, as I could write an entire book about those experiences and my feelings towards them.

Expectations in general followed me throughout my trip, and I realized that the less I expected, the more I received.  Or the less I expected, the more willing I was to accept less-than-perfect characteristics.  This isn't to say that I didn't expect a lot out of India.  I had quite the list of things I wished her to help me accomplish, having the adventure of a lifetime was one of them and that's more than I have asked out of anyone, anything, or any place ever!  I'm just saying that showering in a bucket of cold water wasn't as bad as it sounds.  In fact it cooled me down.  The 100 degree Fahrenheit temperature mixed with 100% humidity wasn't as bad as I made it out to be either.  I just walked a little slower and had longer to enjoy the scenery.  And took lots of sweet lime breaks.  Best drink ever, by the way, mixed with a little ginger.  And I may have stopped once or twice for a good old Kingfisher beer. 

All in all, I think of myself as an Optimist.  I made the best out of many situations and learned to go with the flow.  If only I had carried that attitude back home with me.....

Comments

Popular Posts