Santa Fe by Foot

No vehicle needed when you stick around the Historic Santa Fe Plaza. And with great and plentiful options for food, shopping, sleeping and spa treatments, it's a breeze!


First Things First:  "Why Santa Fe?"

I love Santa Fe for so many reasons! The uniquely New Mexican (and Santa Fean) cuisine, the art (galleries galore!), the New Mexican architecture, the luxurious spas, the walkable shopping options (even if just window shopping!), the warm and inviting people of Santa Fe, the beautiful and comfortable hotels, and the generally warm, inviting and colorful culture that is uniquely Santa Fe.

While there is more to Santa Fe than the Plaza and surrounding businesses, I find myself content never leaving this area.  The Plaza is also a great place to stop by in between activities, and I felt this more than ever with a new toddler in tow this year. It's a great place to meet up with others, to decompress, and to let out a little energy. There is almost always a street musician nearby. It also hosts different types of events such as concerts. It is known as the Heart of Santa Fe.

How?

There are a few options to get into Santa Fe.  There's a small airport in Santa Fe which is about 20 minutes from the Plaza, a slightly larger airport in Albuquerque which is about an hour away, and of course you can make a road trip out of it!  Shuttles, Ubers and Lyfts are available from the airports at a reasonable cost.  If driving, parking downtown is limited, so a parking pass may be needed (available through your hotel) for a nightly fee.  There are limited public parking options, so I wouldn't rely on that.


Eat!

Santa Fe, and New Mexico as a whole, has some of the best cuisine I have ever eaten.  It has it's own flavor, different than any Mexican food I have had in Mexico, the US or anywhere else for that matter. Red chile is a must try, and I usually have it at each meal. Yes, eggs with red chile is amazing! Green chile is also available at most restaurants, but if you can't choose just order "Christmas style" (half red, half green)!  Do locals order Christmas style?  Not sure.  But I always order Christmas. Reservations are always a good idea, especially during high season if you aren't a fan of waiting.  Here are a few of my favorite restaurants:

La Plazuela at La Fonda - This is probably my absolute favorite restaurant in Santa Fe. It could be because I remember the beautifully painted windows from when I was a child, or because or the bright and airy environment, or because of the delicious food.  Probably due to all three.  This is a must visit! Reservations recommended, but not necessarily required.  I love La Plazuela for lunch or dinner, and always recommend the chile rellenos!  I noticed the last few visits that they are offering daily specials that are less New Mexican food, more western/American like prime rib.  I don't think you could go wrong with anything on the menu!  I also recommend the Tamarind Margarita, just the right amount of twist on a classic.

Coyote Cafe - This upscale dining experience offers seasonal options featuring seafood, wild game and more. Reservations recommended, not a super kid-friendly restaurant. Great for foodies!  Next door is the Coyote Rooftop Cantina, perfect for happy hour cocktails and snacks, and quite lively during the warmer months!

Tia Sophia's - This is your standard Santa Fean fare with no frills.  But once you eat here, you will understand why there is a line each morning. Open for breakfast and lunch Mon thru Sat 7-2 and Sun 8-1.  Don't let the line scare you, it usually goes pretty fast. Great option for breakfast!

Tomasita's - Slightly longer walk near the railroad tracks. This place always has a wait for dinner, but also worth it. At the of writing this, they do not accept reservations. Sopapillas and honey served with the meal, absolutely divine. Loved the queso, guacamole and chips. But my favorite was the chile rellenos, smothered Christmas style, of course!

The Shed - Always good food, on every travel blogger's restaurant list.  But with hours-long waits and no one to answer the phone for reservations (their recording says they take reservations up to 3 months in advance, and honestly, who can plan that far ahead?!?), I think The Shed is overrated.  You decide. Artsy and cute as well.

Del Charro - With a name like Del Charro, I always assumed this place was a steak house, but I was so wrong!  While this restaurant offers differently styled hamburgers, their New Mexican food is note worthy.  Their NM Green Chile Chicken Chowder and Pork Belly Tacos are delicious, but their Natillas (desert) blew me away!  This place is very lively and includes a sports bar as well. We noticed many locals eating here, and that's always a good sign, right? The Del Charro website even offers a few of their recipes, so you can make their most loved dishes after you return home. Self proclaimed as "Santa Fe's Watering Hole."

El Molero Fajitas - There's a tiny food cart on the Plaza, somehow I had never stopped there! But this year I grabbed a tamale and a lime juice and I was so impressed.  I will definitely be stopping by again. The owner said he is celebrating 30 years on the exact same corner. Wow!

I know there are so many other amazing restaurants, these are just a few of my favorites.  What would you add to this list?

Stay!

Over the years I have stayed on many hotels around the Historic Plaza, here are a few of my recommendations:

La Fonda - This is my absolutely favorite hotel in Historic Downtown Santa Fe, although it has gone above my price range. Voted #2 Hotel in the Southwest and West by Conde Nast Traveler's Readers' Choice Awards in 2019. Beautifully appointed rooms, stay here if you can afford it!


The Inn and Spa at Loretto - Cute, spacious, comfortable rooms, fireplaces available in rooms on chilly nights, spa on-site with an elevator directly in the spa so you can wear your robe back to the room, on-site restaurant and a super cozy bar with unique drinks and treats.  Outdoor pool available as well.

Eldorado - Slightly farther from the Plaza than the other hotels mentioned here, which can be an advantage or disadvantage, depending on what you're looking for.  But definitely still in walking distance. A Four Diamond Hotel with a cozy atmosphere. Tip: Book a room with a fireplace during cooler months.

St. Francis - Historic, boutique, great porch for drinks! And check out this lobby vibe!


Inn of the Governor's - Next to St Francis, this is a cheaper option with a lot of charm. Outdoor pool, heated year round. Cozy and cute, amazing breakfast! Only some rooms have a fireplace or a balcony, so be sure to ask if that is important to you. Last week they served us sherry and the New Mexican state cookie upon check-in, such a sweet touch!



Relax!

Santa Fe is definitely known for it's vast spa options and opportunities for extreme self care and relaxation.  None of the spas are cheap, but well worth the cost, in my opinion.  Although I usually only visit one spa each trip, these are my favorites from over the years:

Spa at Loretto - I highly recommend the Spirit of the Heritage treatment that includes a relaxing foot soak with tea to unwind, followed by an extensive scalp and foot massage and a fully body massage with hot Himalayan salt stones and your choice or aromatic body oils.  An absolute treat (and I highly recommend Rose!)!  I also enjoyed Signature Desert Glow Facial, available in 50 or 80 minute lengths. And a mani-pedi is always a good choice to round out your spa experience. There are quite a few more spa options, as well as treatment add-ons, and I am sure you can't go wrong with any of the treatments. Yes, that's me below, looking a little too chill after an amazing foot soak! P.S. Ask for Rose!


Nidah Spa at Eldorado - This spa has similar options to the Spa at Loretto, such as Spirit of Heritage including a foot soak, scalp and foot massage, and full body massage.  Very luxurious and accommodating. 

Ten Thousand Waves - This one is about 10 minutes from Downtown Santa Fe, but worth the drive or ride. It is different than many spas in the area, in that it is Japanese inspired. Outdoor hot tubs are available and were inspired by mountainside Japanese hot springs. They are private and a great add on to spa treatments. I highly recommend their couples massage and facials. There is also a restaurant and some lodging available on-site, although I have not personally explored these options.

Shopping!

There are so many options for shopping, here are just a few of my favorites!

Sequoia Santa Fe - My long time favorite home gallery! Throughout the years, my mother and I have collected treasures ranging from wrought iron tree canopy beds, to onyx lamps, to whimsical yet sturdy candlesticks, to a sweet tree lamp (my newest addition pictured below!). 

Native American vendors at Palace of the Governors - Across the street from the Plaza (North side), Native American vendors line the Palace of the Governors. This block has great options for authentic jewelry and gifts. 

Doodlets - Just down the street is the cutest trinket and gift shoppe. They offer so many fun things for kids and adults of all ages. From pickle erasers to intricate wrapping paper to Maileg mice to Dia de los Muertos decorations, this is your place!

Senor Murphy Candymaker - There are a few of these in Santa Fe, but we always visit the location attached to La Fonda on the Plaza.  Try their pinon specialties!

Ortega's on the Plaza - Need some high quality, artist stamped Native American jewelry? This is the place!

Five and Dime - An old general store directly on the Plaza that sells anything you left behind like a toothbrush, and also the best place to pick up some of the famous New Mexican red chile powder. Frito Pies available at the food counter in the back!

Santa Fe Trail Outfitters - A new favorite of mine, this shop offers apparel, camping gear, and some cool New Mexican souvenirs. I picked up gifts for almost everyone on my list, and even a few treasures for myself. Each apparel item sold provides 5 meals for hungry children in Northern NM, it's a win-win!

Grab some red chile ristras, or fresh roasted green chiles if you are driving out of town! I think we found this guy in a parking lot on Cerillos Rd. Worth it! WARNING: may be too hot for a toddler to pop in their mouth! Yes, we learned the hard way.


Other Things To Do:

Tour of Sante Fe (Loretto Line) - Open car tours available mid-March through October 31st, with a few departures each day. Cost is $20 for adults, $15 for children 12 and under, lasts approximately 1 hour 15 minutes. Would recommend for anyone, but especially to first-time visitors.

Georgia O'Keefe Museum - Whether showcasing Georgia's famous flowers or her New Mexican landscapes, this is always a great stop. Advance reservations are required due to COVID, so plan early and book online!

Loretto Chapel - Visit the Miraculous Staircase! I won't give it away by telling the tale...

The Cathedral Basilica of St. Francis of Assisi - A beautiful Catholic church near the Plaza.

Street Art - No tickets or reservations, just take a look around!


Drinks - CHEERS! - I think I need an extra post with just the greatest cocktail spots!

I hope you have enjoyed reading about my favorites in Santa Fe, let me know what you would add to this list!  I may have to try them next time.

Note: Photos by me, or websites of the mentioned locations. Not affiliated with any locations, these are just my opinions and preferences!

Comments

Popular Posts