Next Stop: Cape Coral, Florida

After an amazing time with my mother in Mazatlån, I flew to Fort Myers, Florida, where my Aunt Loni and Uncle Craig picked me up from the airport.  They live close by in Cape Coral.  Beautiful house on the canal, with boats and a pool.  The next day we take the boat out almost to the gulf and we can see dolphins and fish jumping all over the place.  Even though I have been visiting Mexico for years, I think this was only the second time seeing dolphins, and certainly the first time seeing them so close.  Apparently there are manatees all over the canals, but I have yet to see one.




Craigy fishing

Throughout the week we have relaxed, I have gotten super sick and recovered, bought a few last minute things for my trip and met some of my aunt's friends.  It has been a nice vacation from my vacation.  Feeling a bit fatigued and not myself from the medication that I am trying to get used to.  I suppose I haven't mentioned that before, but that's for another post completely.

Florida was never a place I was especially drawn to, but after seeing it for myself I see why people flock here.  It being the start of winter here, the weather is great, even a little chilly actually and I could actually see myself living here.  It turns out there aren't many places where I can't see myself living.  And not because I don't like living in Wyoming.  Just because I think every place has something great to offer and I have a wandering attitude towards life (obviously).  Except Las Vegas, New Mexico.  And Las Vegas, Nevada for that matter.  I don't think they have much to offer.  But actually, once upon a time I thought I wanted to move to the latter to go to UNLV, so never mind.

We drove to Fort Myers beach, which has some of the softest and silkiest sand I have ever felt between my toes.  It doesn't feel like sand.  It doesn't feel like the rough dirt granules that so many beaches have.  It is a different feeling all together, not to mention how utterly gorgeous the beaches are.  The water was a little chilly, but worth going there just to walk in the sand.




Yesterday we drove to Key West from Cape Coral, which was a long 7 hours each way including a break to eat, but was definitely worth the drive.  It would have been nice to spend the night there and I could see myself going back some day to explore it some more.  I had never known much about the Keys and was surprised to know we were driving out about 70 miles into the ocean!  On islands as wide as the road itself, connected with bridges, the longest spanning 7 miles of water.  Heading down, the Atlantic Ocean on your left, and the Gulf of Mexico on your right, one of the most beautiful sights.  On the way we say alligators, more birds than I can count, and some fish jumping about.

 Scooters everywhere, I could get used to this place!
 The Southernmost point of the Continental USA
An old bridge on the Atlantic side of the Keys

It is Saturday now, only 2 days before I leave for India.  I am even procrastinating the feeling of being scared and incredibly nervous, but I'm sure it's coming.  In fact, I'm a bit surprised that I am not feeling many emotions at all.  Either this is a self preservation tactic that my mind has chosen in order to cope, or it is the calm before the storm.  Or I am completely incapable of having any emotion, which is also a viable theory.  That is one of the reasons I am going to India, actually.  To try and connect with myself and let myself in so I am able feel again.  I should be sitting in a corner with my legs shaking wondering what the fuck I'm doing.  I'll leave that for tomorrow, I suppose.

Comments

Popular Posts