Delhi!

Well I have finally made it to Delhi.  My other two flights yesterday went alright.  Paris to Bahrain was about 6 hours, with another open seat next to me, with plenty of room to spare although I was restless and not able to sleep much.  Didn't bring a lot to do on a flight, and although I bought a book at the Paris airport I didn't feel like reading.  Lamb was served, not bad.  After a few hours in the Bahrain airport and a confusing gate change that made me think I missed my flight, I was off for the final leg of my journey.

During this relatively short 3 hour flight I was wondering if I was sure I wanted to be in India.  Full to the brim with Indian men, only about 2 other women on the flight, I thought I was going to go crazy.  Hocking loogies (Spelling?  Whoever has to write that, anyway?), coughing up what I can only imagine was a mouse without covering their mouths, pooping in the bathroom directly across the isle from me, smoking on the plane (?!?!?!?!?!?!?!) multiple times (no, this is not allowed), guy next to me twirling around in his chair bumping into me nonstop, and just generally staring, and well I think you get the picture.

I arrived at 4:40 in the morning, and had a driver from the hotel waiting for me.  I think that was a good choice, as my brain was fried and it would have taken a lot of energy to find the legal taxi stand and miraculously find a driver who knew where the hotel was.  It was about 6:00 am by the time I got to the hotel, and was so thankful they let me check in (super) early.  Thinking I would only sleep for a few hours then get up to do some exploring, I passed out only to reawaken around 3:00pm.  Feeling like I wasted a day, but I know it's better in the long run to get proper sleep the first few days because it catches up with you anyway.  After a shower and feeling great, I made a few arrangements.  I got a train ticket to Jaipur tomorrow evening.  I don't feel the need to spend a lot of time in Delhi, as it is just another big city.  It is much more expensive that other places and I have already done a lot of the sightseeing.

I went to get a SIM card for a mobile phone, but it wasn't available due to "natural" reasons.  I have absolutely no idea what this means.  No problem though, I will get one in Jaipur, which maybe makes more sense anyway since I will be spending a lot more time in Rajasthan.

It doesn't really feel like India yet.  Since it is the beginning of their winter, it isn't too hot.  A little chilly once the sun goes down actually, which seems weird.  It is also super foggy or smoggy or something of the sort.  Also, I am splurging for the first few nights to take some time to get my bearings instead of being thrown into the overwhelming society that is India.  And I haven't really ventured far away yet.  I'm easing into this for some reason, instead of jumping right in.  I know that I have all the time in the world, so what's the rush?  Shanti Home is where I am staying, with an absolutely welcoming family owning the place.  The dad gave me 1000 Rupees (about $20 US) cause I didn't have any and Pooja, the daughter was very sweet.  I had stayed here in April and it is sweet and kind that they remember me although I did not spend much time interacting with them.  Pooja said she remembered me when she saw my email requesting a room, and remembered my beautiful Indian dresses.

I ate on their rooftop restaurant earlier.  I thought I would just have a snack and eat dinner later, but it seems that tomato soup and some fried vegetable croquettes has filled me up.  Yes that's right, tomato soup!!!  A few weeks ago I remembered there was somewhere I traveled where I ate a ton of amazing tomato soup and I couldn't remember where.  It was India, of all places!  In the north earlier this year, even when it was super hot, I ordered tomato soup before almost every meal.  It is always locally made and so delicious.  Plus I must be craving lycopene or something.....?  I always am.

Comments

Popular Posts