Intense!


11.16.12
Jaipur

Today was a crazy day.  I think it's Thursday, but who knows?  No, maybe Saturday or Sunday?  It doesn't matter I suppose.  I woke up this morning feeling refreshed and adventurous.  I read for some time, then showered and went down for breakfast.  I can tell I am going to get sick of omelets very soon.  I knew I would be out and about so I ate more than usual for breakfast.  I have never been much of a breakfast eater though, and I just don't have an appetite first thing in the morning.  Chander at the hotel arranged for a driver for the day.  Once he arrived it was apparent that he didn't speak ENglish, but for some reason I thought we'd get along fine.  Chander explained to him that I needed a SIM card for my mobile phone, then to Bapu Market to have some dresses made.  Well the first and second stops were not able to provide SIM cards, but i have no idea why.  One of the difficulties to foreigners getting SIM cards is that the government is trying to prevent terrorists from obtaining them, so in turn most (any?) foreigners are not able to obtain them.  Last time I did not have a problem at all in Kochi, although the phone company threatened to turn my number off because it had not been registered.  It never was turned off, but perhaps the problem was that my address was not verified.  I think that is still possible this time, that once my address is verified as a hotel that I am no longer staying at, it can be canceled.  The driver then took me to Jaipur Museum, Albert Hall.  I could tell that we would not be able to communicate at all, so I decided to send him on his way.  But without speaking Hindi, I had to have him call the hotel and translate for us.  I think he was upset, but what was the point of a driver, one who was also supposed to be showing me the sites when he could't tell me what he was showing me?  We passed a few monuments etc and all I got was a name, but no idea what they were or what they stood for.  Plus it was expensive for a whole day, and I hate having time restraints or having to answer to someone.  This may not seem like a big deal to you, but I was proud that I was able to do that, and not feel guilted or worried or scared about the consequences.  i hate confrontation!  

Anyway, Albert hall was interesting, many relics dating back to the Maharajas.  I was most interested in the textiles section, as you can imagine.  After spending some time there, I found a rickshaw to take me to Bapu Market, where a girl in Delhi had recommended.  The shop was hard to find, but once we did I saw that it was closed.  So I wandered around the market.  It is shop after shop after shop after shop and on and on, forever.  I think there were technically more than one market, but it all seemed the same to me.  Shops full of bangles, shops filled with saris and salwar/kameez, shops full of slippers, etc.  I found one shop with some beautiful fabrics and went inside.  Gorgeous fabrics, intricate designs.  After choosing two Indian suits, he called in the tailor from across the street, as he only sells the fabric.  I got measured and the old man said they would be ready tomorrow afternoon.  That would be a miracle knowing Indian time, but will see.  I could have chosen many more suits, but decided I had many more chances to have them made, and wanted to spread it out.  Plus I don't have a huge amount of room left in my suitcase.  It is possible I ordered a wedding dress made hahahaha.  They guy said it was fancy and for a marriage party.  So it's either that or the equivalent of an evening gown.  And guess what, I'm going to wear it out and about on a regular Tuesday!  Why not, I'm a foreigner and don't know any better.  I walked for what felt like days, in and out of shops, up and down dirty street curbs, in out and through traffic.  Every one in a while I would ask for a SIM shop.  I was usually given directions, sometimes quite specific ones, but nothing ever materialized.  I walked and walked, bought some Indian shoes, some bangles.  

To be completely honest it was complete sensory overload!  Buses, cars, rickshaws and motorcycles constantly honking, weaving in and out; the menagerie of smells inundating my nose including incense, urine, cow poop, spices, flowers, dust, garbage, leather; Too many things to be able to look at in a lifetime; people shouting things at me that I don't understand, and others drawing me into their shop.  Dodging stares in the beginning, then walking confidently and owning it because it turns out that isn't going away anytime soon.  During one of my goose chases to find a shop I had been told sold SIM cards, the man said just cross this circle and it will be there.  Just cross the fucking circle???  It was a roundabout sort of circle with the absolute most insane driving I have ever seen.  Even the locals seemed a little scared.  I decided I wanted to live instead, so walked further down the market.  I wanted to cross the street, but it took about 15 minutes for me to talk myself into it while walking into yet more shops.  I decided to follow a man, he seemed cautious enough.  We made it!  And I even finally found someone who would sell me a SIM card!  Won't be activated for 48 hours, but it's progress! 

By this time it was late afternoon, so I decided to go back to the hotel then get something to eat.  Drivers being the least educated, they know the least amount of English I have found.  But it turns out I need to be able to communicate with them the most!  Agghhhh.  I showed him the hotel card with the address, before realizing that if he can't speak English he sure as hell can't read it.  Immediately a gaggle of boys fringing from 6 to 13 years old swarmed around us, curious as to what the issue was.  I thought maybe they had translated for me, but the driver still had no clue.  He drove me to the City Palace hahahahahahaha and told me my hotel was in there, as did other drivers in the area.  I told him no and was just going to get out and find another driver, but instead reread the address to him another 8 times, then he decided maybe he knew what I was talking about.  We went, and after many times stopping to ask directions, we found it.  I had tea then passed out within minutes.  I really wanted to go out somewhere for dinner, but by the time I awoke I couldn't muster up the energy.  I asked for dal and rice and waited downstairs.  It turns out there isn't really a restaurant down there as they may lead you to believe, the get the food from somewhere else completely.  It is pretty fast, but I haven't figured it out yet.  One man and a small boy stood about 7 feet from my table and just watched me eat.  I guess I better get used to this.  Besides the fact that I use silverware, I know they thought I was eating very bizarrely.  Like putting dal (a lentil ??? mixture) on die was so weird.  I have no idea how they eat it, but the boy was trying to control his giggles.

Now what?  I think I will read then go to bed relatively early, as perhaps I am finally starting to get the hang of this time zone.  Which, by the way, is a half time zone!  Who knew that existed?!?!?!?  As in, it is 12 and 1/2 hours ahead of MST.  I think Nepal or somewhere else nearby has a 3/4 time zone.  Tell me I didn't just blow your mind!

Comments

Popular Posts