Dia de Los Muertos & Dia de Todos Los Santos

I was lucky enough that my trip Mazatlån coincided with the Mexican holidays of Dia de Los Muertos (Day of the Dead) and Dia de Todos Los Santos (All Saints Day).  I have always been interested in that holiday and their artwork associated with it.  So much so, I actually have a tattoo on my right foot. (Yes, I know I need a pedicure).

The idea behind Dia de Los Muertos is to celebrate the dead and welcome them back for one day a year.  Altars are filled with the deceased's favorite foods and drinks.  Cemeteries are visited and loved ones are remembered.

Upon arrival at the MZT airport, I saw signs of the holiday.  Calaveras (skulls) decorated the walls.  There were altars setup around town.  In the grocery store I found Dia de Los Muertos bread, specially decorated.  I found a sesame seed sculpture decorated as a colorful skull and a hollow chocolate skull as well.  The sesame seed confection tasted like bird seed and nothing more, and the chocolate of the other one was awful.  There were other signs around of this important cultural holiday as well.



I had read a small article online somewhere about the festivities in Mazatlån during this time, but there weren't specific details.  All I knew is that there was a parade, possibly around the Plaza Machado in the historical downtown, and that I wanted to go to it.  Asking around, I never got the same answer twice.  I heard it had already happened.  That it wasn't going to happen  That it didn't exist.  That it was on Wednesday,Thursday, Friday or possibly Saturday.  From what I know about the celebration I decided that it was on Dia de Todos Los Santos which was November 1st.

My mom and I headed downtown on Tuesday night to check out the area and ask around a bit more to get a conclusive answer.  We ate on Plaza Machado at a great restaurant called La Tramoya.  Best chili relleno ever, and I do consider myself a connoisseur.  The square has a much different feel to it than the beachy, touristy, fast paced Mexico on the other side of town.  It feels like a small town gathering place.  Older Mexican couples taking a stroll.  Younger Mexicans making out in the park.  Small restaurants lining the square, all enticing passersby with their varied menus.  Our waiter informed us that the parade was in fact on November 1st and we could reserve a table on the square to watch it and take our time with dinner, drinks.....  The cutest waiter ever, Temo, by the way.

With the parade set to begin at 7:30, we arrived around 6:30 to have a drink or two and possibly dinner beforehand.  The parade started around 8:15, just about on time as far as Mexicans are concerned, said my new handsome waiter friend, Temo.  It began with a few short gun shots and soon came the parade of skeleton brides, loud music, colorfully decorated donkeys pulling carts of free beer.







It was a great experience and I will forever remember such a fascinating experience with my mother!

My beautiful mother, Madeline

I'm pretty bummed out I didn't bring my Canon Rebel camera.  iPhone photos just aren't the same.  Debating on whether or not to have my mom send it to me in Florida so I can have it in India.  It is cumbersome and a pain in the ass.  I chose not to bring it since I am trying to travel light, but after seeing my few measly photos from Mexico I think I know what I need to do.....

Comments

Popular Posts