12.9.12 - Udaipur to Jodhpur

After a few more nights in Udaipur I have decided to move on!  I had a great time in Udaipur and already wonder why I left.  Being at the beginning of my adventure, I'm not quite ready to settle down I guess.  I will explore more and hope to find myself back there soon.  I drank a lot of beer which I hadn't planned on, ate some amazing mutton and chicken dishes along with the best garlic naan I've ever had, made some friends, but did a lot of walking although I missed many of the city's sight seeing highlights.  I'm okay with that though.

I took a 2:00pm bus to Jodhpur today, which really wasn't so bad.  It ended up being about 7 hours, and now I know the difference between chair class, single sleeper and double sleeper.  I had requested a chair, but the guy said sleeper is way more comfortable because you can lie down and relax, but the reality is that it is a tiny holding cell with little room to move, and although I am still pretty short, my head hits the top and I can't see out of the windows.  I ended up sleeping for part of it with the windows open, waking up at a short stop to dirt all over my face.  The views were beautiful during sunset and after the sun went down.  I felt like I was on a real adventure, out on the road again!  We stopped once for a chai break where I ate some pakora (fried miscellaneous vegetables, and small grilled peppers that the small boy was hesitant to give me, being that I'm a tourist).  I have arrived at the hotel that was arranged by a friend, and not too bad for $6 USD, but leaves something to be imagined.  But these are the kind of things that make me laugh in India, all of the misunderstandings and usually me ending up being confused:  Hotel guy asks me if I am hungry, and I say yes it has been a long day and I would like some chai and something else.  I ask him if the kitchen is open and he says of course, this is India.  After checking in I go to the restaurant and order chai, and after it arrives I order a stuffed pepper.  THey don't have that.  OK, how about chicken?  Nope.  OK, is there something that you can make, I know it is late?  Well not really, we don't store food at this restaurant, we take orders an hour or two early then go buy the food.  So I can make a omelette or noodles now.  Cool, I'll have noodles!!!  But the confusion - this conversation took approximately 10 minutes, why didn't he just say that in the first place!?!  Not a big deal, had some good noodles with tomatoes and garlic.  By the way, I love the fact that I can eat garlic by the handfuls and nobody will judge me, or probably even notice.

Today I was also glad about the random crap that I am carrying around that I wasn't sure that I would ever use, like my Leatherman.  Or my dad's Leatherman, actually.  Cause things don't work in this hotel and it has saved my twice!  And a flashlight.  Somehow, sometimes I forget I am in India until the power goes out, or I run into a cow on the street, or until I have to use a squat toilet, while in my full gear of a backpack, a purse and a long scarf. Let's just say it's a little tricky, especially when there isn't a dry spot in the whole place to put anything down!

I can't believe I have already been in India for almost 4 weeks, and haven't been home in over 6 weeks.  Time flies, that is for sure.  In general I have no idea what day it is, how long I have been somewhere, how much longer I will stay.  It's a weird way to live, actually.  And Christmas is coming up, so before I left Udaipur I managed to send out some presents.  Wonder if they will arrive in time.....

So.....Jodhpur is known as the Blue City, I will see why tomorrow!  Well I know why, because most of the buildings are blue.  But I can't wait to see it, as it was dark when I arrived.  I busted out my traveler's Bible aka Lonely Planet book (although I'm a little embarrassed to be seen with it) to see that it doesn't mention Jodhpur much, even though it is Rajasthan's second largest city.  Also a few Indians in Udaipur told me it is a bad city, and were worried that I would get scammed in some way.  And that there is nothing to see here.  Of course I will have to make up my own mind, but I hate that is even in my mind now.  So far it has been welcoming, so I will see what lies ahead!  One thing though - it is hard to downgrade after spending nights in such nice hotels and being spoiled!

Comments

Popular Posts