12.10.12 - Jodhpur

Today I was a super tourist, going to the fort, the clock tower and walking around Jodhpur.  The hotel where I am staying doesn't have windows, so I slept in a bit late thinking it was still night.  After a late start I headed up to Mehrangarh Fort for some sight seeing.  On the way a young man found me and brought me into his home for tea.  It is funny how so many people just want to share a cup of chai, and learn about my language, my culture, me.  Assef, was his name, bringing back memories of The Kite Runner, which I just finished - not good (Assef, not the book, the book was good).  But he was nice enough, but again it is hard to trust anyone.  In the end I can't tell if he is a guide who wanted a job or not, I went on my merry way after he begged to take me to a movie then out for beers.  Ummmm no.

 Goats!  I love goats!
 Fort Mehrangarh from down below
 Blue City
 The Fort

I found the long way up the mountain to the fort, stopping for a breath and to take in the magnificent views of the Blue City.  Fun fact:  The city was painted blue because the color makes it cooler in the hot desert summers and is a natural insect repellant.  Fort Mehrangarg is a great museum, clean and kept up nicely over the years.  It is a great fort that enemies have never been able to get through because of it's high walls, sturdy construction, and strategically built roadways.  Many tourist attractions offer guides for a price which I usually use to get a good idea of a place, and to be able to ask questions.  The fort offered an audio guide, which was pretty informative.  Something else I learned:  A city that ends in -pur (Jodhpur) is a Hindu city, and a city that ends in -bad is a Muslim city (Ahmedabad). 

 Brahmin city below
 Inside Fort

 Gates


 Elephant paloquins
 Hookah

 Pleasure room - for poets and music
 This guy rolled up his moustache special just for me!




 Great view!



After visiting the fort, I began my ascend down the steep hill towards town.  On the way I met a man who invited me in for tea, and his wife painted my right hand with henna, for a good life.  For all of the aspects that mean a good life:  prosperity, family, good luck.  But most importantly for a good boy from a good home to make a happy life and family with.  This is all from the advice of the old man, who seemed so worried that I was 28 years old and unmarried.  So many people here are this concerned for my well-being in this sense, but they don't understand the cultural difference.  Or maybe it is me who doesn't understand what is life.....?????

 Mehendi




Further down the hill I run into a handful or children, wanting to know my name, where I am from.  Of course I ask the same, even though in the end and after trying to say their individual names 5 times I still cannot pronounce or remember them.  Then I take photos, and they look at the tiny screen so excited to see themselves in that way!  They ask for pens and chocolate.

 Cheeky buggers!


 Clock tower
 Market gates
 Typical scene

 The tuk tuk and the motorcycle got stuck together going opposite directions!




Then I walk and walk, checking out the clock tower, the markets surrounding.  It starts to get dark, and I have no idea where I am.  It's not a scary thought, as there are people everywhere, auto rickshaws (taxis) all about and any one of them could take me back to the hotel.  But I am determined to find it on my own, based only on seeing the fort and the clock tower from the balcony last night.  But it is cark now and I can see neither for reference, so I walk and walk.  Finally defeated, I get a tuk tuk to a recommended restaurant near my guesthouse.  Indique, a relatively fancy restaurant located on the rooftop of a fancier hotel.  Good mutton and good view, but in the end it doesn't compare to the mutton of the views in Udaipur. I shouldn't compare.  It was also pretty expensive, then adding almost 30-40% taxes onto everything, which I have never ever seen in India.  Taxes are always included in everything, always.  So 30-40% is pretty steep.  All in all, not so bad, a pretty romantic place for someone looking for that type of thing.

Back to the hotel.  Talked to my parents for a while, which was good to have a real conversation with them.  It has been a while.  Thankful to hear everyone is doing well and relieved that PME is doing good, as I have been feeling guilty for leaving lately.

Some sleep, my legs are J-E-L-L-O from all of those stairs and walking today!

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts