12.7.12 - Udaipur


I got out of the habit of writing in my blog, just got busy I suppose.  Since the last entry I have done quite a bit. I didn't attend the ring ceremony in Jaipur, I just rested that evening.  I rested all day actually and finally later in the evening I was starving after not eating all day and just wanted something familiar so I ordered Pizza Hut.  Now, I am a little embarrassed I order food from an American chain in India, but I needed comfort food, dammit!  I ordered a stuffed crust pepperoni pizza, the first meat I've had for like 9 days I think.  By the time the pizza came I really had no tastebuds and could barely taste it. But it was at least a familiar texture, but not really, it was rubbery.

The next day I stayed in bad again, turning on the TV this time, and searching the channels for anything I could understand, finally settling on "Commando" or something like that with Arnold Schwarzanegger.  Awesome.  "I eat green berets for dinner," or something was my favorite quote.

The next day I finally got walking around again, visiting the family and they ended talking me into attending the wedding of their family member.  Sunita's cousin I think.  I shouldn't have had to be talked into it, but still not feeling great and not wanting to meet a lot of people.  We only stayed for a short time and came back home.  Earlier in the day I had also decided that I was going to Udaipur in the morning, I needed a change.  The family is sad to see me go, and make me promise to return soon.  I don't know how soon it will really be, I don't plan to be in this area.  They make me promise to call them all the time, and to never forget them.

The next morning I catch the morning train to Udaipur, although it is 2 hours late.  Seat numbers weren't decided until the day of the train, so instead of having it written on my ticket I had to find the right car and find my name on it in time to board, which was a little stressful.  But I found the right car with the right cabin, and went in to find 2 men already sitting there.  There was plenty of room, but for some reason they decided to leave. Not sure if this has to do with men being alone with a woman or what, but I was glad, I had the whole cabin to myself.  The train ride was 7 hours long, but it wasn't too bad.  I had a bag of chips and a water and played music the whole time, drifting in and out of sleep, watching villagers as we went by.  I try to drink as little liquid as possible during the day, getting my hydrated during the night where I have a toilet that doesn't make me want to cry. I have heard about the toilets on trains, and I'm not excited for the experience.  A squatting toilet that goes straight to the tracks, in a violently moving train, wearing clothes resembling a skirt with nothing to hold on to….that does not sound fun.  I'm sure the time will come, but I'll wait for now.  Plus I would have to leave all of my luggage and backpack - everything I own and hope it nothing happens to it.  That is a big downfall of traveling alone - no one to cover your back.

I made it to Udaipur and had a tuk tuk (auto rickshaw) take me to a hotel I was planning to stay near Hanuman Ghat.  After climbing a mountain then about 6 flights of super steps to the restaurant and hotel reception, I was told they were fully booked.  So the tuk tuk driver takes me to his friends place just down the way.  It seemed like it had good character, although it wasn't spotless.  It was a small hotel, with only 4 rooms, and I took the big one in the middle for twice the price of the smaller rooms, but there was this amazing little pillowed cove with a window on the lake.  I walked around, had dinner that consisted of inedible chicken, then got some rest.  Kinda.  The beds were super hard and although it was insanely peacefully quiet for India, I could not sleep.  Maybe that was the issue - it was too quiet.  I found that it was actually a really dirty room and I did not feel comfortable there, so I switched hotels for the first time in this city.  A hotel down the way, that seemed alright for half the price.  I ended up staying two night there but it was insanely smelly at random times and there was a loud and rude family taking up the rest of the rooms on my floor so then I got a recommendation from Ricky in Jaisalmer I moved hotels again, this time to an awesome place on the other side of the lake, near Lal Ghat.  I stayed there one night, and after meeting another one of Ricky's friends for dinner who owned another hotel down the street, I moved again!!!!!  So that was a little outrageous, 4 hotels in 5 days.  But I have been here and plan to stay for a while.  I was finally able to unpack a few things and feel comfortable.  I walk around during the days, sight seeing some days, Christmas shopping one or two days, although I seriously doubt my gifts will arrive before Christmas since I still haven't sent them yet.

Udaipur is a funny place, it is small and everyone knows everything.  Everyone knows that I have changed hotels too many times.  People know where I ate the day before, and what I had and what I was wearing  I get invited to tea approximately 5-10 times a day, mostly declining.  But I do have to say, the men in Udaipur are more handsome than all of the other places i have visited in India.  So I am flattered and I move on politely.  If I had tea with everyone who asked me, I would be a shaking caffeine fiend.  

I had planned to only stay in Udaipur for a week, and to be completely honest I'm not sure how long I have been here.  7 or 8 days I think.  But I find myself wanting to stay longer and longer.  Which is fine, I will.  I always say that it is best to stay in a place where I am enjoying and leave a place early if I am not, who cares about plans.  Plans are meant to be broken!  

Comments

  1. Thank you for sharing your Adventures!! I wish I were there with you. Keep writing! Love to Hear Your Journal!! Yes plans to stay put awhile.. Sound Marvelous!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts