Falling in Love with Henna

I was introduced to Henna, or Mehndi, during my first trip to India in April 2012.  I didn't know much about it, but got some beautiful work done by an expert mehndi artist in New Delhi before I came home.  I can't believe I never took a photo of it!

After returning home, a local artist, Cally Turse, was starting out on her henna journey and did a few simple designs on me for my birthday.

But it wasn't until I returned to India in the fall of 2012 that I truly fell in love with the art of henna!  Traveling around in different regions of India, I saw so many different styles of henna.  While walking to the Mehrangar Fort in Jodhpur, Rajasthan a woman swept me inside her home to cook me fresh chai and adorn me with henna, "for good luck to find a good husband."  Another time in Jaipur, Rajasthan, the manager of my hotel took me to his family's house where his wife, cousins and nieces would all take turns drawing different motifs on me.  I started to see henna as a wonderful bonding experience.  Even though I had no prior experience, this family as well as others would ask me to draw on them as well.  I tried and it was horrendous.  I was recently looking through my old photos to see how much progress I had made over the last few years.  Here are a few of my firsts:


I had a lot of time on my hands while I was traveling and henna cones were only about 10-25 cents.  So I would pick up a few and practice while sitting on rooftop restaurants.  When I ran out of skin on myself, I would draw on other willing tourists.

After returning to my home in Cheyenne, Wyoming, I tried multiple times to make my own paste.  I failed miserably, and either my paste was too runny or had no staining power.  I kind of gave up.  Until I found some henna cones at the Indian store in Fort Collins. I messed around with that but came to the conclusion it was not all natural, as stated, since it was shelf stable.  Natural Henna is NEVER shelf stable.  After going through the mixing and dye release process, henna must be used over the next few days of be fresh frozen.

ANYWAY.......

My first festival sling henna was at the First Annual 4-Ever West Tattoo Festival in July of 2016.  I was terrified.  What if no one comes?  What if everyone comes?!?  What if I am not able to do it?  What if I am too slow?  Well everyone came, and I was slow but I was forced to learn how to pick up speed.  It was fabulous and successful and left me wanting more!  I have done many festivals and private appointments since then and absolutely love it!

Here are a few of my favorite photos of my most recent work.  Check out my Marigold Global Boutique Facebook page to see more!





Cheers to falling love with ART!!!

Comments

Popular Posts