1.8.13 - Jaisalmer

 
Well the day has almost come, where I must finally leave Jaisalmer.  I have been here almost a month, and I have had a great time.  I have met some amazing people, both travelers and locals.  In some ways it is hard to leave, but really I have prepared myself for this since the day I arrived.  Meet good people and learn from them, but don't get too close as the next destination is already lurking in the back of my mind.  I will always remember Ricky, Manu, Anna, Vijay, Shiva, Jayta and his family and so many others.  As a traveler it is different to spend so much time in one place and actually be able to form bonds.  I have enjoyed it and I plan to return someday.  

I did some of the touristy things in Jaisalmer on the first few days I was here, but I skipped many of them also, assuming I would do them later and time slipping away.  I never went on a camel safari, which is why most people travel so far west.  We are in the Thar Desert, but I won't know what it feels like to sleep in the sand under the stars.  I did, however, sleep one night on the roof of my hotel under the stars, which I recognize is not the same.  But I have ridden a camel before and let's just say they aren't quite as comfortable as a horse.  So instead of tours and forts and temples, I walked around, drank way too much chai, practiced Mehendi (henna) a lot, learned a few Hindi words, talked about life.  Sometimes at night we would have a few beers.  Never getting too out of control, but always having a good time whether it was dancing, or telling stories, or anything else.  

So I made the decision to go through with my rickshaw plan, to buy a used 3-wheeled POS, fix it up a bit, put in a stereo because no road trip is complete without music, and head out for the open road.  I leave tomorrow, Wednesday, is everything goes as planned.  Plans have changed at least a dozen times, usually due to the fact that everything takes longer than expected, or as promised.  But with the paperwork and insurance almost complete and the final touches being put on the rickshaw, I am starting to pack my bags.  Martha is still planning to come with me, although I am not sure how far she plans to join me.  At the point where we decide to breakaway, I suspect it won't be hard to find another accomplice.  The tentative journey to Kerala is around 2800 kilometers, or about 1750 miles.  I know the route will change more than once, and maybe in the end I won't even end up in Kerala.  But it is good to at least start with a goal in mind.  Not following the rickshaw run, I will be able to take my time and enjoy the scenery as I travel along.  There have been times when I questioned this whole idea, and almost backed out.  But I am starting to feel peace with this decision and excited about the adventure that lies ahead.  Also, the astrologer across the street read the stars and told me tomorrow is a magnificent day to go!  Then right after he fed me opium which I thought was a treat and I immediately spit it out and ran to the hotel to rinse my mouth out.  So maybe I shouldn't trust him after all…..?

One worry still plays in my head:  If the adventure that is India isn't enough to satisfy my adrenaline needs, and I feel compelled to go further and further, when will it ever stop?  Once this is over, what is next?  I mean once I have driven completely down the coast of India, what lies beyond that?  Bear hunting in Russia?  Mt. Everest?  I will put these worries aside for now and carry on.  

P.S.  I hope that whoever is reading this blog has found it entertaining.  I want your feedback!  So if you want, you can write me (alaybour@gmail.com), or send me a telepathic message (you know where to find me).

Comments

Popular Posts